Monday, October 16, 2006

Monday 16 October

Spent my first serial day in school today which I really enjoyed.I discussed the idea of blogging with a couple of teachers and they are not sure blogging is something that is going to take off in primary schools just yet, due to all the restrictions involved in it.
We have been asked whether this is a medium that can affect ones ability to express oneself, I can only speak from my point of view but I find it difficult to think of anything interesting to say. I also do not liketheideaa that someone unknown to me couldbe reading my musings so Iam not going to put anything personal on here. There will be others who find this a great idea of course. As to whether this is going to encourage children to write, it is going to do nothing for their handwriting, for their ability to keep theirwork neat and presentable, and having spellcheck or something similar is just going to make them lazy with their spellings. If texting is anything to go by they will be typing shortened words which is not very helpful in many jobs where paper work features highly.

1 Comments:

At 5:06 AM, Blogger Somabula Blog said...

An interesting perception of the issue. You are right. It is very rewarding to be able to write neatly, and to be able to spell accurately and these skills are highly regarded by teachers and the NC.

Consider this, perspective, though.

I bought my first computer (BBC Model B) as soon as it was launched because someone described to me the word processing facility which these ‘computers’ provided. As someone who has trouble recognising my own handwriting and who went through a bottle of Tippex (remember it?) a week because of typos, I was sold.

There is no way on earth that I would have gone back to university to do postgrad work had I had to write anything by hand. For me, the computer has been a tool which has emancipated me from the bondage of poor handwriting and enabled me to exercise my creativity, in ways beyond my ability to write.

My personal view about spell checkers is that they can teach one to spell. Seeing the right spelling, or a selection of possible replacements, helps me to remember the correct spelling of the word.

Consider also the fact that we are on the cusp of a major change in the way we do things. Handwriting is important now. But… will it be in 10 or 15 years time, when voice recognition software matures and we simply speak to computers to get the text up on our screens, or perhaps, work in a totally different medium?

Scary? You bet! But this is the future.

You will find this link about texting interesting. Copy and paste it into your browser. Let me know what you think.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,1869915,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=8

 

Post a Comment

<< Home